Brian Belo Sues The Only Way Is Essex Producers02:55 - Tuesday 19 April 2011 - In Category UK Entertainment
Big Brother winner Brian Belo is suing the makers of ITV show The Only Way Is Essex, claiming the popular reality series was his idea.
The 23-year-old says he spent two years working on ‘an Essex version of The Hills’ before pitching it to Lime Productions/Liam Pictures; then was dropped from the production after it was commissioned by ITV.
Last week, Brian uploaded the original pilot (below), to his blog and said: ‘I wrote the treatment, got the cast together and got a trailer made.
‘I pitched it to production companies. I’m very proud of its success. I want people to know where it came from.’
He’s said to be suing for £100,000 a series, however Lime claim they’re unaware of any legal action: ‘We have not received any formal complaint from Brian Belo.
‘The format and content of the programme was created and developed by a team at Liam Pictures.’