Michael Jackson: Greatest Entertainer in the World20:20 - Sunday 05 July 2009 - In Categories US Entertainment, Lifestyle
Michael Jackson was the king of pop music and arguably the world’s greatest entertainer, writes Orantes Moore.
He was one of the most famous individuals on the planet and subsequently, one of the most misunderstood and loneliest.
Was he happy? I doubt it.
Jackson donated millions to charity (more than any entertainer in history) and made even more for friends and colleagues in the music industry.
He used Thriller to break down racial barriers on MTV and highlighted the dangers facing future generations in songs such as Bad and Earth Song.
And yet, during the later years, found himself accused of heinous crimes and perhaps worst of all, abandoned by the very industry he helped create.
According to his record company, Sony, and the mainstream media, Jackson had a serious cash flow problem when he died.
But how is that possible if he sold more records, CDs, tapes, downloads and concert tickets than any other artists, and made more money than one person could ever spend?
It makes you wonder: what’s the point of being an entertainer?
In life he was accused of paedophilia and criticised for his changing appearance. Will his detractors be kinder to him in death? Maybe.
Even if they don’t, taking into consideration the pleasure he’s given to so many people over the past 40 years, I know he’ll be sadly missed.
RIP Michael Jackson (August 29, 1958 – June 25, 2009)
1) Michael Jackson owned 50% of lucrative music catalogue ATV, which comprised around 4,000 songs by artists such as Destiny’s Child, J. Lo, The Beatles and Elvis Presley.
2) In 1980, he secured the highest royalty rate of any artists in the music industry – 37% from the sale of his albums.
3) His Dangerous album is the most successful New Jack Swing album of all time selling over 30 million copies.
4) In 1992, he sold the broadcast rights to the Dangerous world tour for around 12 million pounds, a record-breaking deal that still stands.
5) The double album HIStory: Past, Present and Future, Book I is the best-selling multiple-disc album of all-time.
6) Jackson holds Guinness World Records for being the Most Successful Entertainer of All Time and supporting 39 charities, more than any other personality.
7) Before Thriller, MTV had been reluctant to play music by black entertainers. Jackson used the song to show the new station and his label how videos could be used to promote singles and albums.
Thriller become the best-selling album of all time and was the first LP to have seven singles in the American Hot 100 chart.
9) In 1992, Jackson founded the Heal the World Foundation, which sends millions of dollars to children around the world who had been affected by disease and war.
10) His music catalogue is immeasurable and will make around 1 billion dollars over the next 12 months.